Saturday, February 17, 2007

Finally some sun!

The sun was finally shining and I couldn't bring myself to sit inside at the computer! I finally got the beds set up!

I dug them out and loosened the soil about 6 inches down. The soil here is very rocky as we are more or less on the downslope to the river valley (Spokane River is less than a mile from my house). I didn't want to mix these rocks into my actual garden soil if I could avoid it, it will be enough of a pain getting the ones that work themselves to the top out. On top of my 6" of turned natural soil I laid down a mix of purchased garden dirt and compost to about 12" in the big bed and 8" in the smaller beds. I am going to be laying down a wood chip mulch on the pathways around the beds (last thing I want to do is add more rocks or gravel!). If the sun keeps up I will probably find more things to do outside instead of keeping up with my indoor responsibilities but who could blame me? The only thing I did indoors today was get my broccoli and cauliflower started!

2 comments:

Bob said...

Yes you do right Jenny, make the most of the weather as the housework will still be there tomorrow or whenever. Bob

Judypatooote said...

Isn't sunshine wonderful....it is finally warming up and the snow is melting and the yard looks so ugly. .... Doggie dooo is glistening in the backyard.... and I'm ready for the green grass to grow, even if I have to cut it, and all the flowers to bloom, even if I have to weed them.....this is a very depressing (looking) time of year... Smart of you to get a head start.....