Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Thwarted plans

My to-do list for today:

Finish assembling the raised beds
Make the trellis' for the pea's
Find some good piece's of wood to contain our out of control compost heap

This WAS my to-do list until I woke up to this....
Yes, the white stuff is snow. There was more of it this morning, but the rain is washing it away thank goodness. We didn't drop below freezing either, which is a good thing in my book!

I'll probably Still do the pea trellis' as I can do most of it indoors and avoid the chill. 34 degree's F and raining, being outside? I don't think so! I'm also going to make tee-pee's for the tomato's. How does everyone else stake their Tomato plants? I admit I am still searching for a method I like.

I looked through the wood pile and found some perfect pieces to make the pea supports. I think I will make two tripods and make a net of twine for them to crawl up. I also found some perfect pieces to make tee-pee's for the tomato's. I used cages one year and I hated them, impossible to get to the tomato's inside! I am also not organized enough to stake them, I forget to tie them and they end up sprawling all over the garden as I learned last year.

Even though the weather is overcast, misty, and still hovering around 39 degree's, it is alleviating my spring fever a bit to be working outside most days. I lived in New Mexico for the last 5 years and I was looking forward to moving someplace with snow and cold. I missed my real winters. Now here I am looking forward to warm weather and sunshine!

2 comments:

Judypatooote said...

Your getting an early jump on the planting......When I grew tomatoes, I bought a green wire thingy, and put it around the plant....but I usually go to farmers market and buy my produce...... I did get spring fever when I walked by a Perennal book at the store....I had to buy it.....it killed me to pay 5.98, but i just needed a dose of Spring....LOL

Jenny said...

This time of year is the worst! Little hints of spring everywhere but its still c9old and sometimes snowy. I always think late winter is just a tease. I don't blame you for buying the book, i would too, hence why I am avoiding the shops lol.